OHSA is one of the most awarded and recognised health and safety consulting organisation in Australia. Our people are proven leaders in workplace WH&S issues. We are often sought to act as independent experts for sensitive WH&S issues. We are regularly sought to offer expertise in significant WH&S projects.
· WH&S Audits
· Incident Investigation
· Expert Witness
· Workcover Policy & Procedure Review
· WH&S Manual Development
· Alcohol and Other Drugs Programs
· Construction Safety Plan & Safe Work Method Statement Development
We train up to 15,000 students annually through our accredited WH&S, Mining & Construction training courses. A number of major Australian employers have formed partnering relationships with our training college. We are regularly engaged to write and deliver company specific training packages for face to face or on-line delivery.
- BRW Fast Top 100 Fastest 2012
- OHSA Corporate Health Program – Global Winner of Volvo/Mack Best Corporate Health Program 2009 Awarded in September 2009 in Sweden
- OHSA’s risk management system developed for Qld Ambulance awarded Winner – 2009 Excellence Award for the QLD Community Safety Awards presented by the Minister of Community Safety: – August 26th, 2009 at Parliament House Qld
- Winner – Registered Training Organisation for 2007 Mining Industry Skills Centre QLD Best Training Processes & Practices of the Year: – Large Company. OHSA was the partnering RTO for this Major Mining Contractor.
- Winner – Registered Training Organisation for 2006 Mining Industry Skills Centre QLD Metalliferous Trainee of the Year Award. OHSA was the partnering RTO for this Major Mining Contractor.
- Winner – Registered Training Organisation for 2006 Mining Industry Skills Centre QLD Coal Employer of the Year Award. OHSA was the partnering RTO for this Major Mining Contractor.
- Winner- 2003 NSCA/Telstra National Safety Awards of Excellence: Excellence in Occupational Health & Safety. OHSA was an integral consultant developing and implementing the system for this Major Civil, Marine and Mining Contractor which enabled them to receive the award.
- Winner – 2003 NSCA/Telstra National Safety Awards of Excellence: Best Implementation of an OH&S Management System. OHSA was an integral consultant developing and implementing the system for this Major Civil, Marine and Mining Contractor which enabled them to receive the award.
OHSA Organisational Capability
- Invited presenter for the Australian Government Funded Pilot Program ‘Resources Connect’ to assist Australian suppliers to improve business capabilities within the mining and energy sectors and enhance their global competitiveness.
- Requested Chinese Embassy in Canberra to personally meet Chinese Delegation from Fujian Province ranging from Vice Mayor, Directors, Deputy Directors, Division Chiefs, Vice Divisional Chiefs to discuss current and emerging Australian OH&S, Mining methodologies 2012
- Invited to Hong Kong to speak to Chinese heads of industry, government & academia about OH&S and Mining / Construction;
- Engaged to review Brazilian Embraer Jets in Toronto Canada for Virgin Blue Airlines;
- Engaged to review of F1/11 Fighter Jet Fuel Tank Entry Project Amberley;
- Awarded Minister’s Award of Excellence August 2009 by Community Services Minister at Qld. Parliament for Development of a risk management system for Qld Emergency Services department;
- Invited by the Department of Mines & Energy and Queensland Mining Council to present independent human factors research about Moura disaster and Gas Protocol recommendations;
- Selected to provide advice with introduction of Belaz Mining Rear Dump Trucks into Bowen Basin;
- Engaged by Federal Australian Air Services Authority to assist develop Systems & provide Training to Manage Projects & Contractors for over $1B infrastructure roll – out. Delivered to Project Managers throughout Australia. Subsequently engaged to develop site supervisors training program.
- Engaged to develop Risk Management Facilitation Workshop for $500M Coal Handling Preparation Plant in Central Queensland.
- Selected to investigate patient fatalities by emergency services organisation;
- Selected as International Human Factors Expert to Investigate Queensland Rail’s near-miss train disaster at Umolo, Rockhampton – selected by both State and Federal Transport Departments as the Independent Australian Human Factor’s Expert;
- Selected to Develop & Project Manage the Review, Development & Implementation of Queensland Rail’s Medical Fitness Standards which became benchmark for New National Standards;
- Requested to assist in the development of a new loss control management system after the fatal explosion disaster at Porgera Mine – Papua New Guinea;
- Selected as independent international expert adjudicator from a wide range of Australian & International risk management consultants to assist the Industrial Relations Commissioner to independently validate the safety systems of the largest public transportation group in Queensland;
- Engaged to develop and deliver Accident Investigation, Risk Management / JSA, Drug and Alcohol, Take 5, Injury Management, Safety Officer / Representative and Manual Handling programs for one of the largest coal ports in Australia;
- Conducted extensive plant access/egress study for mining client with engineering recommendations;
- Selected by Queensland Fire & Rescue Authority to project manage the selection and design of the new medium urban pumper fire appliances;
- Part-Time Lecturer and Visiting Lecturer to a number of Universities.
- Key-note and guest speaker at numerous safety conferences.
- Frequently commissioned by various leading legal firms as an expert witness for personal injury tort claims and safety management system compliance;
- Selected to investigate whole body vibration and other matters of Queensland Rail’s high-speed tilt-train.
- Selected to develop new shift-work schedules for public sector maritime client;
- Conducted 1000’s of manual handling risk assessments over past 22 years and developed numerous award winning programs for manual handling / ergonomic risks.
- Engaged regularly by the court to provide expert evidence for manual handling injuries.
- Conducted 100’s of whole body vibration monitoring assessments including post-incident and OEM vs. OEM;
- Selected to review and select life rescue equipment and patient handling equipment for emergency services client;
- Provided dust and noise monitoring with desalination plant project;
- Developed traffic flow management plan for Mt Whaleback, BHP Newman – WA;
- Introduced no-lift manual handling patient risk management system into RBH, RPA, Calvary Health Tasmania, NT Health, Aboriginal Hostels Ltd., and over 100 other hospital and aged care facilities and numerous universities and TAFE colleges throughout Australia;
- Reviewed work at heights requirements for power transmission client in response to DWPH&S notice;
- Assisted with the design and conducted pre-commission audit for 50,000m2 distribution warehouse;
- Assisting Construction Company to implement procedures and train staff for Office of Federal Safety Accreditation.
Expert Witness Cases (Sample)
- Trip on hotel path at night.
- Back injury in spray painting booth.
- forearm injury lifting clutch plate.
- Back injury tripping on floor of manufacturing facility.
- Shoulder injury spray painting.
- Hand injury using vibrating tools.
- Back injury turning chassis over with hoist.
- Shoulder injury pushing metal trolley.
- Collapsed vertebrae whilst driving truck.
- Shoulder injury to dogman slinging load.
- Post traumatic stress disorder when security guard assaulted on a train platform.
- Disc injury due to whole body vibration.
- Fall in a public place on polished floors.
- Fall in a hospital shower.
- Hand injury with unguarded plant.
- Back injury lifting manhole cover.
- Back injury lifting a piano.
- Trip and fall from a bus.
- Wrist injury to boner.
- Carpal tunnel injury handling chickens.
- Back injury lifting steel carton.
- Knee injury stepping off a pallet truck.
- Back injury pushing pallet jack.
- Neck injury to meat slicer in abattoirs.
- Back injury unloading 40ft container.
- Fractured pelvis falling from scaffolding.
- Trip on pool carpet in serviced apartments.
- Back injury to cleaner lifting garbage bags.
- Slip, trip and fall from a mobile home.
- Fall from domestic building.
- Slip in workplace toilet.
- Back injury whilst driving a forklift.
- Back injury falling from chair in corrective services facility.